< HOME  Thursday, April 13, 2006

So Much for Oprah

When I first read about 9/11 and Oprah, I thought what a great idea. But as far as I'm concerned, after reading this, the chances are next to nil that Oprah will take on the quest for truth about 9/11.
Speaking in Baltimore on Monday at a fundraiser for Beth Tfiloh Dahan Community School, Winfrey told the audience, "I have lots of things, like all these Manolo Blahniks. I have all that and I think it's great. I'm not one of those people like, 'Well, we must renounce ourselves.' No, I have a closet full of shoes and it's a good thing."

Winfrey, 52, who is reportedly worth more than $1 billion, said she doesn't feel guilty about her wealth. "I was coming back from Africa on one of my trips," she said. "I had taken one of my wealthy friends with me. She said, 'Don't you just feel guilty? Don't you just feel terrible?' I said, 'No, I don't. I do not know how me being destitute is going to help them.' Then I said when we got home, 'I'm going home to sleep on my Pratesi sheets right now and I'll feel good about it.' "
Oprah would sooner renounce the poor and starving in Africa than give up her shoes. I don't see why working Americans would fare any better with a woman who doesn't tire of seeing her own mug on every issue of her useless monthly magazine.

3 Comments:

At Friday, April 14, 2006, Blogger Tahoma Activist said...

Dude, that's pretty harsh. Money does strange things to people, but as we've seen with Charlie Sheen, it doesn't mean your soul goes away.

Like Bono, Winfrey has been seduced by the thrill of great wealth. However, if we can connect with her concern for her fellow human beings, perhaps she will do the right thing.

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006, Blogger qrswave said...

You know, I had high hopes in her. But, that quote really did it for me. She's not young and careless, she's a grown woman who's been through rough times. She knows better.

There's no excuse for that kind of callousness and vanity. She may not be hopeless - only God knows - but this doesn't give me much reason to believe that she cares enough to sacrifice for the rest of us, which is what she'd have to do if she tried to run with 9/11.

BTW, money doesn't do it to people - VANITY and ARROGANCE does. Money just feeds it.

 
At Friday, April 14, 2006, Blogger Citisucks said...

SUV liberals-they make me want to piss and crap all over them.

Being poor is harsh, not this critique of Oprah.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home