< HOME  Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Millionaire gives away fortune which made him miserable

Austrian millionaire Karl Rabeder is giving away every penny of his £3 million fortune after realising his riches were making him unhappy.

By Henry Samuel in Paris
Published: 8:16PM GMT 08 Feb 2010

Austrian millionaire Karl Rabeder is giving away his fortune

He is in the process of selling his luxury 3,455 sq ft villa with lake, sauna and spectacular mountain views over the Alps, valued at £1.4 million.

He will move out of his luxury Alpine retreat into a small wooden hut in the mountains or a simple bedsit in Innsbruck

Mr Rabeder, 47, a businessman from Telfs is in the process of selling his luxury 3,455 sq ft villa with lake, sauna and spectacular mountain views over the Alps, valued at £1.4 million.

Also for sale is his beautiful old stone farmhouse in Provence with its 17 hectares overlooking the arrière-pays, on the market for £613,000. Already gone is his collection of six gliders valued at £350,000, and a luxury Audi A8, worth around £44,000.

Mr Rabeder has also sold the interior furnishings and accessories business – from vases to artificial flowers – that made his fortune.

"My idea is to have nothing left. Absolutely nothing," he told The Daily Telegraph. "Money is counterproductive – it prevents happiness to come."

Instead, he will move out of his luxury Alpine retreat into a small wooden hut in the mountains or a simple bedsit in Innsbruck.

His entire proceeds are going to charities he set up in Central and Latin America, but he will not even take a salary from these.

"For a long time I believed that more wealth and luxury automatically meant more happiness," he said. "I come from a very poor family where the rules were to work more to achieve more material things, and I applied this for many years," said Mr Rabeder.

But over time, he had another, conflicting feeling.

"More and more I heard the words: 'Stop what you are doing now – all this luxury and consumerism – and start your real life'," he said. "I had the feeling I was working as a slave for things that I did not wish for or need.

I have the feeling that there are lot of people doing the same thing."

However, for many years he said he was simply not "brave" enough to give up all the trappings of his comfortable existence.

The tipping point came while he was on a three-week holiday with his wife to islands of Hawaii.

"It was the biggest shock in my life, when I realised how horrible, soulless and without feeling the five star lifestyle is," he said. "In those three weeks, we spent all the money you could possibly spend. But in all that time, we had the feeling we hadn't met a single real person – that we were all just actors. The staff played the role of being friendly and the guests played the role of being important and nobody was real."

He had similar feelings of guilt while on gliding trips in South America and Africa. "I increasingly got the sensation that there is a connection between our wealth and their poverty," he said.

Suddenly, he realised that "if I don't do it now I won't do it for the rest of my life".

Mr Rabeder decided to raffle his Alpine home, selling 21,999 lottery tickets priced at just £87 each. The Provence house in the village of Cruis is on sale at the local estate agent.

All the money will go into his microcredit charity, which offers small loans to Latin America and builds development aid strategies to self-employed people in El Salvador, Honduras, Bolivia, Peru, Argentina and Chile.

Since selling his belongings, Mr Rabeder said he felt "free, the opposite of heavy".

But he said he did not judge those who chose to keep their wealth. "I do not have the right to give any other person advice. I was just listening to the voice of my heart and soul."

telegraph.co.uk

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 11, 2012, Blogger Lilian Visser said...

Hi Dear

I so wish this morning I could have convinced you to give me just a $1020, I live in South Africa, work for $333 per month, pay $$280 rent, you see I am realy struggling, but I do not want help to live of, I need help since I came across a program that can help me earn a decent living !! It cost $1017, as you can see, there is noway I can ever get that money, that means struggling till my dying day !! You are so fortunate, You must just realize it !!

Regards

Lilian, South Africa

 
At Wednesday, April 24, 2013, Blogger yousef X-press Music said...

i am yousef yehia taher i am 2nd year student at Sadat Academy i would like you to help me in my financial state which is bad 10 thousand would do a big change in my life special when i will marry next year and i need to be ready for everything thank you here is my e-mail yousef-ed-din@hotmail.com

 
At Monday, April 11, 2016, Blogger Peter Jackson said...

I’m Ketesha Mills by name. I live in USA, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scammers everywhere.Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Mr. Peter Jackson who lend me an unsecured loan of $85,000 under 2hours without any stress. If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: peterjacksonloan@gmail.com I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders. And I don’t wish even my enemy to pass through such hell that I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent online lenders,i will also want you to help me pass this information to others who are also in need of a loan once you have also receive your loan from Mr. Peter Jackson, i pray that God should give him long life.

God bless him forever.

Ketesha Mills

Testimony on how i got my loan

 
At Saturday, August 13, 2016, Blogger Margret Buchan said...


Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?I received the sum of $3,000.000 some days ago after been scammed of $8500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $3,000.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. (morristrustfundlimited at hot mail dot com) Canada +16477393756 http://www.morristrustfundlimited.com
.He is a trust worthy man. Thank you sir.

 
At Saturday, August 13, 2016, Blogger Margret Buchan said...


Have you been looking for a loan?Do you need an urgent personal or business loan?I received the sum of $3,000.000 some days ago after been scammed of $8500 from a woman claiming to been a loan lender but i thank God today that i got my loan worth $3,000.000.Feel free to contact the company for a genuine financial service. (morristrustfundlimited@hotmail.com com) Canada +16477393756 http://www.morristrustfundlimited.com
.He is a trust worthy man. Thank you sir.

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2016, Blogger DSKANKE LOANS said...

Reach your goals in life easy, fast, and safe with our Loan Service. Do you need a loan for your bill, business or for any other purpose at a very low interest rate of just 3%? if yes then contact us with your name, phone number, loan amount needed to email: ds.kanke@gmail.com

Contact us via E-mail: ds.kanke@gmail.com

 
At Tuesday, September 13, 2016, Blogger DSKANKE LOANS said...

We offer loan at low interest rate of 3%. However, our method offers the possibility to specify the amount of the loan needed and also the duration you can afford it, gives you a real Chance to get the funds you need! contact us via email: ds.kanke@gmail.com

Contact us via E-mail: ds.kanke@gmail.com

 
At Monday, October 03, 2016, Blogger lewis brown said...



Invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days.

Why wasting your precious time online looking for a loan? When there is an opportunity for you to invest with 200$ and get a returns of 5,000$ within seven business working days. Contact us now for more information if interested on how you can earn big with just little amount. This is all about investing into Crude Oil and Gas Business.

Email: daviesbrown2033@gmail.com

 
At Tuesday, October 18, 2016, Blogger Dr Purva Pius said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

BORROWERS APPLICATION DETAILS


1. Name Of Applicant in Full:……..
2. Telephone Numbers:……….
3. Address and Location:…….
4. Amount in request………..
5. Repayment Period:………..
6. Purpose Of Loan………….
7. country…………………
8. phone…………………..
9. occupation………………
10.age/sex…………………
11.Monthly Income…………..
12.Email……………..

Regards.
Managements
Email Kindly Contact: urgentloan22@gmail.com

 
At Saturday, November 05, 2016, Blogger Unknown said...

Do you need a loan? Have you been looking for where to get a loan? Have you been trying to get any kind of loan? then apply now at ?(carlosellisonfinance@outlook.com) if you want to get an affordable loan. Loan is offered here at a very low interest rate of 2%. Contact us now if you are interested.

 
At Friday, November 18, 2016, Blogger Venter Adriaan said...

My name is Mrs Anthony Jordan. I live in Texas USA and i am a very happy woman today? I told my self that any Loan lender that could change my Life and that of my family, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to Them.They gave me and my family happiness, i was in need of a loan of $30,000.00 to start my life all over as a widowed with 4 kids I meant this honest and GOD fearing loan lending company online that helped me with a loan of $180,000.00 U.S. Dollar, They are indeed GOD fearing People, A reputable loan company.

I am very happy i got my loan from them last week. If you are in need of loan and you are 100% sure to pay back the loan please contact them and please tell them that Mrs Anthony Jordan refer you to them. contact via E_mail: peterjacksonloan@gmail.com

Mrs Anthony Jorda

Testimony on how i got my loan

 
At Sunday, November 27, 2016, Blogger fast loans said...

do you need a genuine loan for business purposes or to pay your debt contact Mr Kellie Wilson now for genuine loans via email: Oceanicfinance113@gmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home