< HOME  Sunday, December 25, 2005

Tookie, FREE at last

Bianca Jagger spoke at Stanley Tookie Williams' memorial service, recounting the talk she had with him at death row, 22 days before his execution.
[Tookie's] defender had to admit that [Tookie] was not willing to apologize or express remorse for the murders for which he was convicted and condemned to death. I asked him why.

[Tookie] answered in a calm and measured voice, "I am innocent. I did not commit the crimes for which I was sentenced to death. I cannot ask for forgiveness and express remorse for a murder I didn't commit, even if by refusing to do so, I risk losing my life. I cannot lie in order to live."
In remembering Tookie, Bianca asks us to consider the defiant last words of Gary Graham.
"I'm an innocent black man that is being murdered. What is happening here is an outrage for any civilized country. They are going to keep on lynching us for the next 100 years if you do not carry on [the] tradition of resistance. We may lose this battle, but we will win the war. You must continue to demand a moratorium on all executions."

Bianca calls it a "tragic irony that Williams had to be executed before he could be free to visit this church."
Stanley Tookie Williams, FREE at last.

Let us say a prayer this Holiday for all the innocent people murdered by belligerence, greed, selfishness, arrogance, and LIES.

May we all someday be FREE of the chains that BIND us.

3 Comments:

At Sunday, December 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And exactly how much time did Bianca spend with Tookie's victims?

Let's not waste anymore energy or time on these non-entities.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2005, Blogger qrswave said...

Doc, you're missing the point.

Tookie claimed he was innocent of those murders. And, I believe he was telling the truth.

If he was executed for killing others, then they should have made that clear.

But, if he was executed for killing people he did not kill, that is not justice.

 
At Sunday, December 25, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Everybody in jail is innocent, just ask them.

And where is justice for his victims? Why was he allowed to escape justice for twelve years?

Excuse me, I forgot. He wrote some children's books. Maybe I should do that so I can have a get out of jail free card.

Excuse me again, I forgot I am the wrong race to pull that off. The children's book exemption to the death penalty doesn't apply to me.

There is one less hateful racist now, and this world is much better for it. Such a precious gift for this holiday season!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home