< HOME  Friday, December 09, 2005

Don't Cry for Me, Argentina...

Apparently, "Argentine President Néstor Kirchner stunned world financial centers on Nov. 28, when he took the bold step of asking his Finance Minister, Roberto Lavagna, to resign."

* * *

"Kirchner's defiance—he has even hinted he might consider writing down the $9 billion that the IMF insists Argentina still owes the Fund—and his insistence on defending his country's interests and right to reindustrialize, has enraged the speculators, vulture funds, and free-market fundamentalists who had visions of finishing off the looting job they started in the 1990s."

Point 4 of the final communique issued from a private meeting between Presidents Kirchner and Lula [of Brazil]:
"Presidents Lula and Kirchner will jointly defend the position, regarding multilateral credit institutions, that the imposition of conditions which affect the ability of Governments to promote policies of growth, dignified work, and social inclusion, must be avoided."

Could Kirchner be about to rekindle the spirit of Eva Peron with lyrics by Tim Rice?
And as for fortune, and as for fame
I never invited them [IMF] in
Though it seems to the world they were all I desired
They are illusions
They're not the solutions they promised to be
The answer was here all the time
I love you and hope you love me

* * *

Don't cry for me Argentina
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance

Apparently, Eva Peron was both loved and hated in Argentina:
"Though Evita was worshipped by her working-class followers, she was bitterly hated by a vast number of Argentina's middle class and also by the wealthy Anglophile elite. They detested her humble roots and lack of formal education. Many felt that as a woman she was far too active in politics. Evita herself referred to them disparagingly as 'the Oligarchs.'"

I doubt that Kirchner will fair any better with the folks at the IMF. Stay tuned for developments.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home