< HOME  Sunday, December 11, 2005

Richard Pryor, the man



I almost died laughing watching that movie, back in the day.

I wonder if he died laughing yesterday? I hope so.
Pryor, [was] 65, and had been ill for several years with multiple sclerosis.
But, when Pryor could walk, he did.
"In 1967, before a posh hotel audience in Las Vegas," Pryor had "what he later called a stage 'epiphany'" . . . "He looked into the crowd, paused, suddenly said into the microphone 'What the fuck am I doing here?' - and walked off stage."
And, he knew what it meant to be poor.
"He once told an interviewer it was 'much easier for me to talk about my life in front of 2,000 people than one-to-one. I'm a real defensive person ... If you were sensitive in my neighbourhood, you were food.'"

* * *

"The comedian once marvelled that 'I live in racist America and I'm uneducated, yet a lot of people love me and like what I do and I can make a living from it. You can't do much better than that.'"
He was miraculous in his ability to make people laugh.
During one performance in the early Nineties . . . Pryor said 'I need to know one thing. What the fuck is MS?'
I wonder if he knew about our Monetary System.

I loved Pryor.

I pray that he rests in peace.

1 Comments:

At Monday, December 12, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amem.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home